Intro to Quilting: Coming soon!
Instructor: Stacey Sharman
This class introduces the beginning student to the tools and techniques of constructing a crib sized, nine-patch quilt using the sewing machine. This is a wonderful hands-on opportunity to learn the skills needed to transition to the construction of more complex designs.
You will learn to:
- Use a quilting pattern
- Use color and value to create visually interesting quilts
- Use quilting friendly tools: a rotary cutter and quilter's rulers
- Sewing techniques to make a durable, long-lasting quilt
- Create a quilt top
- Layer the top, batting, and backing
Required skills: Students should be able to sew a straight seam on a sewing machine.
Please bring to 1st class:
- Sewing Machine*
- Seam Ripper
- Rotary Cutter
- Curved stainless steel safety pins (not Singer)
- 6" x 24" quilting ruler (recommended)
- 6" x 12" quilting ruler (recommended)
- 100% Cotton thread and filled bobbin in neutral color or to match fabric
- 1 yard 100% cotton fabric for back of quilt
- 1 yard 100% cotton fabric for large solid blocks and borders
- 1/2 yard 100% cotton for binding
- Two 1/4 yard pieces or 5 fat quarters of 100% cotton fabric for 9-patch blocks
- Additional supplies will be necessary to complete the quilt (approx 2 yards, cotton batting, 18 x 24" rotary mat). We recommend you wait until after the 1st class to purchase these supplies, once the teacher has evaluated your project.
* If you need to rent a sewing machine for use during class, please add Sewing Machine Rental to your cart along with your class. Call the shop with any questions at 510-595-8372.
Please feel welcome to come to the shop early to get help choosing your fabrics. We are happy to help!
3 sessions / 2 hours each
Students receive 15% off class materials.
Class Date: Coming soon!
Cost: $75 with 24 hour advance reservation / $85 walk-in