Sewing Fundamentals 102 - November 13th
Instructor: Tasa Gleason
Did you take Sewing Fundamentals 101: Tote Bag and you are ready for the next step? Have you had some sewing experience but still feel as if you need some tips and guidance? Either way this class is perfect for you! We will quickly recap what was covered in 101 and then move on to some new techniques and skills.
In this class you will learn how to make this useful and stylish sewing kit with matching pincushion. It's perfect for taking your sewing supplies with you whether you are heading to the park, a friend's house, camping, or on a road trip! You will never leave home without it.
You will learn:
- How to layout pattern pieces and cut fabric
- Proper pinning technique
- How to understand seam allowance
- How to sew a curved seam
- How to apply fusible interfacing
- How to apply bias tape
- How to set snaps
- Hand sewing finishing techniques
- Proper use and care of sewing tools
- Proper pressing technique
- Tips for future projects!
Prerequisites: Sewing Fundamentals 101 or ability to use a sewing machine and sew in a straight line. You should be confident in basic operation of your machine (i.e. winding a bobbin, threading your machine, forward and reverse stitching).
What to bring to class:
- Sewing machine*
- 1/2 yard of medium weight 100% cotton fabric for outside of kit
- 1/2 yard lighter weight 100% cotton fabric for lining of kit
- Coordinating 100% cotton thread
- Clear 2" x 18" ruler
- Fabric pen
- Snap setter
- 3/4 yard fusible interfacing
- Small amount of stuffing
- Fabric scissors, hand sewing needle, glass or metal (no plastic!) head pins, seam ripper
* If you need to rent a sewing machine for use during class, please add Sewing Machine Rental to your cart along with your class. Call the shop with any questions: 510-595-8372.
15% off materials purchased for class
1 session / 3.5 hours
Date: Sunday, November 13th
Time: 11:00 - 2:30
Price: $44 with 24 hour advance reservation / $54 walk-in
** Great follow-up class: Sewing Fundamentals 103 - Zippered Pouch **
Tasa holds a BFA in Dance and a certificate in Apparel Design and Merchandising and has been working as a professional costume and apparel designer for over 15 years. She is the technical designer and pattern drafter for Verb’s line of sewing patterns and teaches sewing classes at Verb. Tasa makes over 50% of her own, and her family’s, wardrobe and hopes that her classes inspire others to create and work with textiles in whatever way fits their lifestyle. Currently Tasa works in the costume shop at Cal Shakes and designs costumes for several local dance companies.